Saturday, November 11, 2017

Flash Stories & Poetry Day 6: Cinquain "Greed"


Today's the sixth day and I'm feeling a little annoyed. Apparently that promotion I signed up for with Serious Reading put me on some damn monthly subscription till December. I woke up this morning and looked at my phone to see the time but had a message from my credit card company instead telling me my purchase had been approved. I can't begin to explain to you guys how much I hate monthly automatic renewals. Let's just say it cost me $100 one time and I found out too late to do anything about it. So I hate them all now and any company that uses them is immediately put on my sh*t list for being suspicious as f*ck because legit companies don't do anything so shady. Hopefully I can get a refund. I mean, I could use the extra month if I wanted it, but I don't want it--I want my $15 back. So we'll see how this tempers today's writing. Also, I've added another genre to the wheel. I had completely forgotten about odes.

Wheel of Genres, turn, turn, turn! Tell me the genre I will discern!





Today's topic is... Poetry--Cinquain. According to Wikipedia, a cinquain is a "class of poetic forms that employ a 5-line pattern." I'm sure many of you remember doing them in elementary school whenever you had a unit of writing poetry. The one where you wrote a poem over five lines and it went 1, 2, 3, 4, 1 as in the number of words you were allowed to use. The problem with that is that that's a specific kind of cinquain known as a Didactic Cinquain. The classical form does something similar but the number pattern 1, 2, 3, 4, and 1 is in reference to the number stressed syllables per line because cinquains are supposed to be written in iambic feet with a total of 2, 4, 6, 8, and 2 syllables written per line. This is what's known as the American Cinquain as made famous by Adelaide Crapsey. There are many other different styles as well, the Crown and Garland Cinquains sounding the most interesting to me. For today, I'm going to write a cinquain which only adheres to the syllable count without the stressed syllables. I've never been good with iambic feet, so...

Thirty minutes on the clock: 30:00. And... go.

Money...
Thou desirest
So thou will enforce a
Subscription on the unwary?
For shame!

Stop the clock! I have 27 minutes left. I know that doesn't seem fair to you dear readers, but there will be days when it is this quick and easy. Plus, it's Saturday and for whatever reason, I never get anything done on Saturday, so this may be a blessing in disguise for me that I got my blogging done so quick.

But anyway, that's it for today. If you want to use the wheel I made, you should be able to access it here. And if you have the time, please check out my books for sale on Amazon which you can find through my author page. The link is below. See you tomorrow.


Keep writing, my friends.

More About Bryan C. Laesch:
Amazon: My Author Page, My Influencer Page
Facebook: Bryan C. Laesch, Bawdy Scholar
Patreon: Bryan C. Laesch
Twitter: BryanofallTrade
Youtube: Bryan C. Laesch, Bawdy Scholar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Can You Pigeonhole Yourself through MBTI?

So, here’s a question for all you MBTI nerds: do you fear that knowing your personality type will pigeonhole you into acting a certain...