Friday, November 10, 2017

RWBY Volume 2: The Novelization: Welcome to Beacon

RWBY: The Novelization is not endorsed by Rooster Teeth in any way. Views, opinions, and thoughts are all my own. Rooster Teeth and RWBY are trade names or registered trademarks of Rooster Teeth Productions, LLC. © Rooster Teeth Productions, LLC.
 


In the skies above Beacon, a handful of large military airships began to descend toward the school’s docks. They were the new Nero-class airship designed by Atlas. Each one contained hundreds of Atlesian soldiers, human and cybernetic alike. Smaller, duty-bound Rosso-class airships buzzed around Beacon’s tower maintaining a perimeter of control and stability. Ozpin and Glynda, standing in the headmaster’s office, got an eyeful of their maneuverability and were able to appreciate the immensity of the Nero-class.
“Ironwood certainly loves bringing his work with him wherever he travels,” bit Glynda.
“Well, running an academy and a military makes him a busy man,” reasoned Ozpin. “But, yes. Those are a bit of an eye sore.”
A message flashed on Ozpin’s desk telling him that someone was just outside the office and requesting access. “Come in.”
In stepped a middle aged man dressed in a white suit. His hair was short and black with some gray and silver. He had perfect posture and an almost arrogant sense of confidence. And strangely, there was a small metal rectangle above one of his eyes. When he entered, he said, “Ozpin!” in a clear, deep voice that had an unmistakable tone of command.
“Hello, General.”
“Please, drop the formalities,” said Ironwood as he and Ozpin crossed to each other. “It’s been too long.” They shook hands. “And, Glynda! It has certainly been too long since we last met.”
Glynda stepped up beside Ozpin. “Oh, James!” she said sarcastically. Then to Ozpin, “I’ll be outside.”
Once Glynda had gone, Ironwood turned to Ozpin. “Well, she hasn’t changed a bit.”
“So,” began Ozpin. “What in the world has brought you all the way down from Atlas?” He headed back to his desk and poured two cups of hot chocolate. He gave the first to Ironwood who took it in a gloved hand. “Headmasters don’t typically travel with their students for the Vytal Festival.”
“Well, you know how much I love Vale this time of year.” Ironwood reached into this overcoat and took out a circular flask. He added some of its contents to the mug Ozpin had given him. “Besides, with you hosting, I thought this might be a good opportunity… for us to catch up.”
Ozpin scoffed, taking his seat behind his desk. “I can certainly appreciate quality time between two friends. However, the small fleet outside my window has me somewhat concerned.”
“Well, concern is what brought them here.”
“I understand travel between kingdoms has become increasingly difficult—”
“Oz,” Ironwood chided, “you and I both know why I brought those men.”
Ozpin sighed. “We are in a time of peace. Shows of power like this are just going to give off the wrong impression.”
“But, if what Qrow said is true, then—”
“If what Qrow said is true, then we will handle it tactfully. It’s the Vytal Festival. A time to celebrate unity and peace. Therefore, I think it best you try to avoid scaring people by transporting hundreds of soldiers halfway across the continent.”
“I’m just being cautious.”
“As am I. Which is why we will continue to train the best huntsmen and huntresses we can.”
“Believe me, I am.” Ironwood put his mug down on Ozpin’s desk and turned to leave. But before he did, he said, “But ask yourself this: do you honestly believe your children can win a war?”
“I hope they never have to.”
***
Somewhere in the deep reaches of Beacon’s library, a fierce war was already brewing. There were four contenders each vying for dominance of Remnant. Unfortunately, only two of the competitors were into it, while one had no idea what she was doing, and the last couldn’t believe she was wasting her time like this.
“Alright,” whispered Ruby to herself. “Alright.” She pointed across the table at her sister. “Yang Xiao Long! Prepare your kingdom for battle!”
“Bring it on!”
“I deploy… the Atlesian Air Fleet!” said Ruby with enough drama to cause Yang to gasp. She smacked the card on the game board between them. “Looks like I get to fly over your Ursae and attack your walls directly.” Ruby made naroo-flying type noises followed by an explosion with her mouth.
Yang gasped again. “You fiend!”
“And, since Atlas is part of Mantle, my repair time only lasts one turn.”
Yang laughed causing Ruby to gasp. “Pretty sneaky, sis. But you just activated my trap card! Giant Nevermore!” Yang slammed her fist on the table and several of the game pieces fell over.
“What?!”
“If I roll a seven or higher, fatal feathers will slice your fleet in two!”
“But, if you roll a six or lower, the Nevermore will turn on your own forces.”
“That’s a chance I’m willing to take.”
As Ruby and Yang fully engaged themselves in their risky board game, throwing playing pieces around and wailing and gnashing their teeth, team JNPR was just one table over trying to get some studying done. Ren was embroiled in a text book while Nora snoozed right next to him dreaming of pancakes and producing an epic sized snot bubble. Pyrrha was looking over some notes and glanced at Jaune as he read an X-Ray and Vav comic. She cleared her throat, taking the comic from him and slapped a textbook in his hands instead. Jaune sulked until a pewter Nevermore piece hit him the head and he looked at team RWBY. Yang was gloating about her recent victory while tears streamed down Ruby’s eyes.
“Well, Weiss; it’s your turn,” said Yang.
Weiss looked down at the cards in her hand. “I have… absolutely no idea what’s going on.”
Yang sidled up to Weiss. “Look, it’s easy. You’re playing as Vacuo which means all Vacuo based cards come with a bonus.”
“Huh?”
Yang started rearranging Weiss’ hand for her. “See, you’ve got Sandstorm, Desert Scavenge… ooh-ooh! Resourceful Raider. See, now you can take Ruby’s discarded Air Fleet—”
“No!” wailed Ruby.
“And put it in your hand.”
“Okay.”
“And since Vacuo warriors have an endurance boost against natural hazards, you could use Sandstorm to disable my ground forces and simultaneously infiltrate my kingdom. Just know,” said Yang, taking a serious tone, “that I will not forget this declaration of war.”
“And that means…?”
“You’re just three moves away from conquering Remnant!” Ruby sniffled.
Weiss stood, laughing evilly. “Yes. Fear the almighty power of my forces, cower as they pillage your homes, and weep as they take your children from your very arms—”
“Trap card,” said Yang.
“Huh?”
Yang rearranged the pieces on the board with blinding speed. “Your forces have been destroyed.”
Weiss sat back down as tears streaked down her face. “I hate this game of emotions we play!”
Suddenly, Ruby appeared, crying on her shoulder. “Stay strong, Weiss. We’ll make it through this together.”
“Shut up! Don’t touch me,” said Weiss, embracing Ruby fully.
Yang leaned back and put her arms behind her head. “Alright, Blake. You’re up.”
“Huh? Oh, um.” Blake had been in her own world. Not day dreaming, but worrying. “Sorry, what am I doing?”
“You’re playing as Vale trying to conquer the kingdoms of Remnant.”
“Right.”
“Hey!” said Jaune as he walked up. “Can I play?”
“Sorry, Jaune,” replied Ruby. “We’ve already got four people.”
“Besides,” Weiss added, “this game requires a certain level of tactical cunning that I seriously doubt you possess.”
“Uh, you attacked your own naval fleet two turns ago,” said Yang.
“Bring it on, Ice Queen,” dared Jaune. “I’ll have you know that I’ve been told that I’m a natural born leader.”
“By whom? Your mother?”
“And Pyrrha.”
“Hello, again,” said Pyrrha from behind them.
“C’mon. Let me play your hand for a turn.”
“I’m not trusting you with the good citizens of Vacuo.”
“Why not? You’ve trusted me with way more important stuff before. I mean, you told us all that Blake is secretly a F—”
“Fun-loving person!” finished Pyrrha, rushing to cover Jaune’s mouth. “Who we all admire and respect.”
Jaune laughed nervously as Ruby and Weiss smiled nervously. Blake gave them all the stink eye.
“Right,” said Jaune. “That.” He scratched the back of his head. “Ladies, enjoy your battle.”
“Sup, losers?” said someone new coming from behind Blake.
“Hey, Sun,” said Ruby.
“Ruby. Yang. Blake. Ice Queen.”
“Why does everyone keep calling me that?” said Weiss.
“I never got the chance to formally introduce you all to my old friend,” continued Sun.
“Uh, aren’t libraries for reading?” said Neptune.
“Thank you!” said Ren.
Nora snorted awake. “Pancakes!”
“Shut up,” said Sun. “Don’t be a nerd.”
Neptune had a fit. “Intellectual,” he corrected. “Okay? Thank you. I’m Neptune,” he finally said.
“So, Neptune,” started Weiss, “where are you from?”
“Haven,” he said, walking over to her as cool as could be. “And I don’t believe I’ve caught your name, Snow Angel?”
Weiss blushed. “Um, I’m Weiss.”
“Are you kidding me?!” whispered Jaune.
“It’s a pleasure to meet you,” said Neptune, eyeing her over.
Sun said to Blake, “I never took you as the board game-playing type."
“Right. Well, I think I’m done playing actually,” she said abruptly. Blake left without giving Sun a second glance. “I’ll see you guys later.”
Once she was gone, Sun shrugged.
“Women,” commented Nora.
Blake went back to her dorm where she was plagued by memories of the previous semester when she confronted Roman Torchwick and the White Fang. But there had been a part later that night that no one else knew about. After RWBY and Sun had called the Vale police, they had been taken to the police department where each was questioned about the night’s events.
Ozpin had been called to investigate matters for himself and pick up his students. While he was there, he spoke to Blake one-on-one. “Well,” he began, “this has certainly been an eventful evening. I’m sure after a night of thwarting attempted robbery, you probably just want to go home and take a nap. But… I was hoping we could have a chance to talk.”
“Of course,” said Blake.
“Wonderful. As you know, in order to enroll in my academy, students must first pass a rigorous entrance exam. Most applicants spend years training at one of the many combat schools around the world. You are one of the few who did not. And you passed the exam with flying colors.”
“I was raised outside the kingdoms,” replied Blake. “If you can’t fight, you can’t survive.”
“Well, you have most certainly survived, Blake. I admire your drive, and I am proud to run a school that accepts individuals from all walks of life. Rich, poor, human…” Ozpin took a sip from his mug, “Faunus.”
Blake eyed him. She was both surprised and not at the same time.
“Why do you wear that bow, Blake? Why hide who you are?”
“You may be willing to accept the Faunus, Professor Ozpin. But your species is not.”
“True. But we are taking strides to lessen the divide.”
“With all due respect,” said Blake, her irritation rising, “you need to start taking some larger strides. Until then, I’d rather avoid any unnecessary attention. I want people to see me for who I am, not what I am.”
“And what are you?”
“I, uh… I don’t understand what you’re asking.”
“How did you know the White Fang would be at the shipyard tonight?”
“I didn’t,” she said honestly. “I just happened to be at the right place at the right time.”
“You wouldn’t have been the first,” said Ozpin with a small grin. “But what happened tonight was not an isolated incident. I may be your headmaster, but I am also a huntsman. And it is my sworn duty to protect this world from the forces that conspire against it.
“Blake. Are you sure there is nothing else you would like to tell me?”
“I’m sure,” she said with barely any hesitation.
“Very well. Thank you for your time, Miss Belladonna,” said Ozpin flatly. He got up to leave, but turned back. “But if you ever need to talk to me, please, don’t hesitate to ask.”
Suddenly, the door to her dorm snapped open transporting Blake back to the present.
“Ugh!” growled Yang, storming in. “We never should have let him play.”
Ruby giggled. “You’re just mad because the new guy beat you.”
Blake got up and started heading for the door.
“See, if you had just attacked when I told you, none of this would have happened.”
“Stop!”
Blake did stop. She looked over her shoulder and Weiss was pointing at her.
“Lately, you’ve been quiet, anti-social, and moody.”
“Uh, have you met Blake?” asked Yang.
“Which I get,” continued Weiss. “It’s kind of your ‘thing.’ But you’ve been doing it more than usual. Which, quite frankly, is unacceptable. You made a promise to me, to all of us, that you would let us know if something was wrong. So, Blake Belladonna! What! Is! Wrong?!” said Weiss, getting in her face before backing up a suitable distance
“I just…” Blake thought about lying, she thought about telling them anything else. This was her problem and she wanted to deal with it her way. But before she could stop herself, an emotional gate swung open and she blurted the truth. “I just don’t understand how everyone can be so calm!”
“You’re still thinking about Torchwick?” asked Ruby.
“Torchwick, the White Fang, all of it! Something big is happening and no one is doing anything about it.”
“Ozpin told us not to worry,” said Yang. “Between the police and huntsmen, I’m sure they can handle it.”
“Well I’m not! They don’t know the White Fang like I do.”
Yang looked at Ruby. They both shrugged. They were game to kick butt any time anywhere.
Weiss however took a breath. “Okay. Between blowing up nightclubs, stopping thieves, and fighting for freedom, I’m sure the three of you think you’re all ready to go out and apprehend these ne’er-do-wells.”
“Ne’er-do-who?” said Ruby.
“But, let me once again be the voice of reason: we’re students. We’re not ready to handle this sort of situation.”
“Well, yeah but—”
“We’re not ready!” firmed Weiss, shutting up Ruby.
“And we may never be ready!” bit Blake. “We can’t just wait with lives at stake until they think we’re ready. Our enemies are gathering. There’s a storm out there and it’s growing deadly! And it’s coming, whether we’re ready or not.”
Ruby suddenly got an idea and looked very excited. “Okay! All in favor of becoming the youngest huntresses to single handedly bring down a corrupt organization conspiring against the Kingdom of Vale, say aye!”
“Yes!” said Yang. She turned to Blake. “I love it when you’re feisty.”
“Well,” started Weiss, “I suppose it could be fun.”
“None of you said aye,” lamented Ruby.
“Alright then,” said Blake with a smile. “We’re in this together.” She somehow felt relieved.
“Let’s hatch a plan!” said Ruby.
“Yeah!” agreed Yang.
Ruby gasped and looked horrified. “I left my board game in the library.”
Weiss shook her head. “We’re doomed.”
“I’ll be right back!” Ruby ran out into the hall and collided with somebody. “Ow. Oh, geez. I’m sorry. Are you okay?” she said to a girl wearing a foreign uniform.
“I’m fine,” said the girl, offering Ruby her hand. “Just… be more careful in the future.”
“Okay,” said Ruby, taking the girl’s hand. “Sorry, again. I’m Ruby. Are you new?”
“Visiting from Haven, actually,” said another girl, stepping up between the first girl and a tall guy.
Ruby looked at the trio before her. The girl she bumped into had shoulder length lime colored hair while the boy had messy grey hair and a cocky smile. As Ruby looked at them, she thought she detected a faint, dangerous swagger to their personalities. But neither was quite as intimidating as the aura radiating off the girl in the middle. She had long black hair and for some reason, she really seemed out of place, almost like she was too old to be attending Beacon. Her aura was also dangerous, but there was no swagger to it. It was real and very intimidating.
Ruby shivered under her practiced gaze that seemed to betray just a hint of burning intensity. But then a stray thought interrupted Ruby’s feelings. “Oh! You’re here for the festival. Oh! But exchange students have their own dormitory.”
“I guess we just got turned around,” said the boy.
“Oh, no worries. Happens all the time. Your building is just… east of here.”
“Thanks,” said the dangerous feeling girl. “Maybe we’ll see you around.” The trio began to leave but they didn’t seem to be making their way towards the nearest exit or even the east exit.
This was lost on Ruby though. “Yeah, maybe. Oh. And welcome to Beacon.”
Cinder couldn’t help a smirk from spreading on her face. The irony was just too delicious.
******************

This entry of RWBY: The Novelization is brought to you by my new novels: Remnants of Chaos: Chaotic Omens and Heroes of Majestia: The Company of Flight. You can buy ROCCO here and HOMCOF here.



Keep writing, my friends.

More About Bryan C. Laesch:
Amazon: My Author Page, My Influencer Page
Facebook: Bryan C. Laesch, Bawdy Scholar
Patreon: Bryan C. Laesch
Twitter: BryanofallTrade
Youtube: Bryan C. Laesch, Bawdy Scholar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Can You Pigeonhole Yourself through MBTI?

So, here’s a question for all you MBTI nerds: do you fear that knowing your personality type will pigeonhole you into acting a certain...