Sunday, November 12, 2017

Flash Stories & Poetry Day 7: Vulgar Limericks


Hey, everyone.

Today's day seven and I can't really explain how I'm feeling today. Perhaps I won't give it away and we'll just see what I cook up.

Wheel of Genres, turn, turn, turn! Tell me the genre I will discern!





Today's topic is... Poetry--Limerick. For those who don't know, a limerick is a "form of poetry, often humorous and sometimes obscene, in five-line, predominantly anapestic meter with a strict rhyme scheme of AABBA, in which the first, second and fifth line rhyme, while the third and fourth lines are shorter and share a different rhyme." Now, I had to look up "anapestic meter" and I don't think I'll try to write in it, so all you have to know about limericks is that they have the above rhyme scheme and they're usually dirty. Likely you know the opening "There once was a girl from Nantucket"; yeah, that's a classic limerick style/beat. (Guess what dirty line you can rhyme with "Nantucket.") Anyway, I don't know if mine will be dirty; I haven't written a limerick since grade school and even that one I had help with from a friend so it is fair to say that this will be my first ever limerick. I guess we're popping a cherry here.

Thirty minutes on the clock: 30:00. And... go.

There once was a maiden named Blair.
She had become her father's heir,
    She was loaded with cash,
    But was treated like trash
As the lads preferred her derriere.

A man was sent to buy a vest
For the lady he liked the best.
   Thinking he loved her most,
   About him she did boast,
But really he wanted her chest.

There once was a man with no guts,
To make things worse, he was a klutz.
    To show he had some balls,
    He went over some falls,
And in the end, lost both his nuts.

Alright, I'm going to stop there with five minutes left. I had actually written four limericks, but the other one had a gay joke that I don't think will fly with a lot of people. Another reason why I'm stopping is because dirty or vulgar limericks are kind of habit forming. I wrote the first, then the second, and couldn't stop myself with the third. I tried to write clean limericks, but it's amazing how many dirty and vulgar words in English are short and rhyme with so many others. No wonder they're so popular.

But anyway, that's it for today. If you want to use the wheel I made, you should be able to access it here. And if you have the time, please check out my books for sale on Amazon which you can find through my author page. The link is below. See you tomorrow.



Keep writing, my friends.

More About Bryan C. Laesch:
Amazon: My Author Page, My Influencer Page
Facebook: Bryan C. Laesch, Bawdy Scholar
Patreon: Bryan C. Laesch
Twitter: BryanofallTrade
Youtube: Bryan C. Laesch, Bawdy Scholar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Can You Pigeonhole Yourself through MBTI?

So, here’s a question for all you MBTI nerds: do you fear that knowing your personality type will pigeonhole you into acting a certain...