Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Flash Stories & Poetry Day 17: Shakespearean Sonnet "Humors"


Hey, everyone.

So, today's Thanksgiving Eve and marks three days until my HS reunion, so as you can imagine, I have a hard time focusing and I have bunch of stuff to do, but because today is also a work out day and I've been pushing myself past 11 on a scale that only goes up to 10, it's better I get today's writing exercise out of way ASAP. Let's crack on.

Wheel of Genres, turn, turn, turn! Tell me the genre I will discern!





Today's topic is... Sonnet! Oh, boy! A sonnet. Now, I'm a student of Shakespeare and I was an English major so I've studied Petrarch (which is hilarious because he's Italian), but as you can imagine, I know all about the sonnet. I wrote my first one when I was Sophomore in HS, and I've written few others since due to the fact that I want to honor my main man Shakespeare every time I write one, hence I don't write many because of the effort and skill involved.

Now, there is a new movement these days in sonnet writing where the focus is to just write something fourteen lines long and there's no requirement on line length. I once took an avant-garde poetry class (by mistake!) and saw some really strange (and terrible!) sonnets. So, what am I going to do here? Do I take the lazy, modern way out, or do I try to do homage to my Mentore (Italian for "mentor")? Well, Shakespeare did once write a play in two weeks (The Merry Wives of Windsor), so the least I can do for the Bard is attempt to write a sonnet in a half hour.

Thirty minutes on the clock: 30:00. And... go!

Let me not deny what my heart desires
And be a betrayer to my passions.
Within my bosom, there burns awesome fires,
To chart a course of daring, new actions.

Regarding me, I am not just my past,
No, I also possess a future bright;
I shall write enduring works that shall last
And not go silently into the night.

But what of those humors that led me here?
They too are susceptible to great change.
Think me not mystic to search a new tier
To make comrades with those I did estrange.

--For in my past there is much to regret,
--A brighter future, I hope to beget.

***
 
Stop the clock! I have a little more than eight minutes left. Booyah! Did you see that, Mentore?! Now, I just need to write a five act play in two weeks seeing as how I've already written a five act, Shakespearean play. I will admit that I did steal my opening from Shakespeare though, and my couplet isn't quite a twist like you're supposed to have in Shakespearean sonnet, but it does refer back to the beginning. And before you ask, yes, I did have my high school reunion on my mind. Hopefully I don't sound like a broken record.

But anyway, that's it for today. I hope you enjoyed it. If you want to use the wheel I made, you should be able to access it here. And if you have the time, please check out my books for sale on Amazon which you can find through my author page. The link is below. Also, I reworked my Patreon page, so why not give it a look and consider becoming my patron. I would appreciate it.

Keep writing, my friends.

More About Bryan C. Laesch:

My Works:

Amazon: My Author Page, My Influencer Page
Facebook: Bryan C. Laesch, Bawdy Scholar
Patreon: Bryan C. Laesch
Twitter: BryanofallTrade
Youtube: Bryan C. Laesch, Bawdy Scholar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Can You Pigeonhole Yourself through MBTI?

So, here’s a question for all you MBTI nerds: do you fear that knowing your personality type will pigeonhole you into acting a certain...