Thursday, November 9, 2017

Flash Stories & Poetry Day 4: Villanelle "Why must I be plagued like this"


Hey, everyone.

I forgot to tell this audience that I recently, actually a month ago, published two novels: Remnants of Chaos: Chaotic Omens and Heroes of Majestia: The Company of Flight. You can buy ROCCO here and HOMCOF here.



Today's the fourth day of my writing challenge. And unfortunately, I'm having a bad day. So, I don't know if what I'm going to write is going to be pissy or melancholic, but let's find out.

Wheel of Genres, turn, turn, turn! Tell me the genre I will discern!





Today's topic is... Poetry--Villanelle. Oh, boy. Looking at the description from Wikipedia, this will be quite a poem. Apparently a villanelle is a "nineteen-line poetic form consisting of five tercets followed by a quatrain. There are two refrains and two repeating rhymes, with the first and third line of the first tercet repeated alternately until the last stanza, which includes both repeated lines." Basically, this is the rhyme scheme: A1bA2 abA1 abA2 abA1 abA2 abA1A2 . And perhaps the most famous villanelle, "Do not go gentle into that good night" by Dylan Thomas, has only ten syllables per line. I don't think that's a requirement, but those two lines are supposed to be refrains, syllables likely matter. Okie-dokie...

Thirty minutes on the clock: 30:00. And... go.

Why must I be plagued like this
To suffer and lose my time
Which steals from me my dear bliss?

I am ravaged by the abyss
And suffer a wretched crime.
Why must I be plagued like this?

To the days I give a-miss
And lose my deserved dimes
Which steals from me my dear bliss.

All I desire is a kiss
From a lucky bell's clear chime.
Why must I be plagued like this?

'Stead I am cursed with a hiss
To lose the virtue of my prime
Which steals from me my dear bliss.

Oh! Lo, I am in the pits
Where naught lies but a foul grime!
Why must I be plagued like this
Which steals from me my dear bliss?

And stop the clock! Almost 11 minutes left to go. I really thought that was going to be more difficult, and it was at first, but I pulled it out. Although, I wouldn't say this is a good villanelle. It's workable and might be able to be turned into something good, but for my daily writing challenge, it works. And I probably chose two of the most annoying rhymes to hear. But I confess that I choose them because I had so many words to choose from.

But anyway, that's it for today. If you want to use the wheel I made, you should be able to access it here. And if you have the time, please check out my books for sale on Amazon which you can find through my author page. The link is below. See you tomorrow.

Keep writing, my friends.

More About Bryan C. Laesch:
Amazon: My Author Page, My Influencer Page
Facebook: Bryan C. Laesch, Bawdy Scholar
Patreon: Bryan C. Laesch
Twitter: BryanofallTrade
Youtube: Bryan C. Laesch, Bawdy Scholar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Can You Pigeonhole Yourself through MBTI?

So, here’s a question for all you MBTI nerds: do you fear that knowing your personality type will pigeonhole you into acting a certain...