Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Flash Stories & Poetry Day 2: Ballad "The Hunt"


Hey, everyone.

So, yesterday was the first day of my daily writing prompt challenge. Today's the second day, and I added one more genre to the wheel, "Poetry--Carol." Let's see if I get it.

Wheel of genres, turn, turn, turn! Tell me the genre I will discern!





Today's topic is... Poetry--Ballad. According to Wikipedia, a ballad is a "form of verse, often a narrative set to music." Other guidelines for the ballad include "13 lines with an ABABBCBC form, consisting of couplets [...] of rhymed verse, each of 14 syllables. Another common form is ABAB or ABCB repeated, in alternating 8 and 6 syllable lines." Now, back in high school, I had a whole semester of Sophomore year devoted to studying and writing poetry, so I'm familiar with ballads. The one I wrote had the rhyme scheme ABAB and was like a dozen or more stanzas long. Senior year I took a Creative Writing class where I wrote a second part to that ballad. Anyway, for this one, I'm going to try the 13 lined ballad with the rhyme ABABBCBC. But I'm going to give the 14 syllables a miss. Or maybe not... we'll see.

Alright, let's give this a-go. Thirty minutes on the clock: 30:00. And... go!

Oncet in a forest dark there was a young maiden bright,
Beauteous was she with visage fair and riding-hood red,
Caught she the malignancy of a beast of ferocious might,
He caused many a terror and filled the hunters with dread.
But 'twas a hunter savage who sought to take the creature's head.
He stalked the beast foul and found him preying on the woman,
With might unequalled, he struck the beast and made it dead,
Thus did the maiden take the huntsman into her bosom.

Okay, I'm stopping the clock there at nine minutes and forty-five seconds. Why? Well, I realized too late that ABABBCBC is only eight lines, and not thirteen, so I don't know what I'm supposed to for the last five lines in terms of rhymes or content. But as you can tell, this appears to be a version of Little Red Riding Hood. If you know me as RWBY fan, this won't surprise you. But, I have intended to make a few longish narrative poems and sell them in a book, and one of them is a poem about a young maiden who is being stalked by a beast and it is slain by a hunter. So this short ballad here is sort of a prototype of the poem I plan to write. I admit that some parts of it aren't very poetical, but it's pretty decent for 21 minutes.

But anyway, that's it for today. If you want to use the wheel I made, you should be able to access it here. And if you have the time, please check out my books for sale on Amazon which you can find through my author page. The link is below. See you tomorrow.

Keep writing, my friends.

More About Bryan C. Laesch:
Amazon: My Author Page, My Influencer Page
Facebook: Bryan C. Laesch, Bawdy Scholar
Patreon: Bryan C. Laesch
Twitter: BryanofallTrade
Youtube: Bryan C. Laesch, Bawdy Scholar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Can You Pigeonhole Yourself through MBTI?

So, here’s a question for all you MBTI nerds: do you fear that knowing your personality type will pigeonhole you into acting a certain...