Friday, November 17, 2017

The Passion of Gloucester and Sinead Excerpt: Act V--Sinead's Dramatic Monologues

Hey, everyone.

This is the last day of my promotion for The Passion of Gloucester and Sinead which means you only have one more evening to download it for free here. And in honor of that, here are two monologues delivered by Sinead at the end of the play.




Act V, Scene I
Sinéad: Enough, Henry. I must defend myself
To these coistrels.[1] Gentlemen, do not think
Me a Joan[2] or trull[3] who needs to mask
As a man from some vulnerability.[4]
I learned the art of war to appease
The ghost of my father, good Exeter.
Why should it be shameful for his daughter
To study his school and learn his art?
As for Queenhood, I ne’er desired it,
But by God’s will, I am your queen now.
I do not ask you to worship me
Like you would Richard, my great-grandsire.
The only worship I demand is that
You serve your country and countrymen
To make safe our borders and secure them
From those who would enslave the free people
Of Albion. By God, I am not
Covetous for gold, for such things dwell not
In my desires. But if it be a sin
To covet honour, I am the most
Offending soul alive.[5] What say you?
Will you serve?


[1] Low fellow, knave
[2] Low-class woman
[3] Whore
[4] Based on a quote from Jean Howard (qtd. in Levin, 127). “‘It is tempting to speculate that […] lower-class women may well have assumed [men’s clothes] from a sense of vulnerability’.” See sources.
[5] Quote from Henry V at 4.3.24, 27-29

Act V, Scene 1
Sinéad: Come and let us fight with dread Gallia.
The enemy may challenge my sex
For I am a woman, so may I
Challenge their mold for they are but men.
[Soliloquy.] Nuncle. Father. Give me the strength and words. [End Soliloquy.]
[to Army] Soldiers of Albion! Hear me now.
He that shall live this day, and see old age,
Shall remember what feats he did this day.
Our names as familiar as household words.
John, the Warrior King, Gloucester, the Duke
Assassin, and Sinéad, Knight-Queen of Exeter![1]
Army: Long live the queen! God save the queen!                                                            
Sinéad: We few, we happy few, we band of soldiers;
For he today that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition.[2]
Here on these shores, Gallia’s army faces
Annihilation. Terror embraces
Their souls well knowing the dread they have
Suffered at the past swords of Albion.
Now they give witness to the future sires
Of their destruction! Give thanks to those nobles
Who killed, died, and taught us the meaning of virtue!
Go forth, and do not fear death! Arise, knights!
Arise, warriors of Albion!
A day flooded by Gallian blood
Ere the moon rises! To victory!             Exeunt with Sinéad leading the charge.


[1] Based on a quote from Henry V, 4.3.44, 51-54
[2] Based on the same quote, 4.3.60-63

***
 
The kingdom of Albion has enjoyed an unprecedented era of success in war and foreign diplomacy thanks to its guild of assassins led by the Duke of Gloucester and the kingdom's elite knights led by Gloucester's niece the Captain Sinéad. But the old foe, Calais, general of the forces of Gallia, seeks retribution for suffering losses to them both enacting a scheme that will pit these two paragon guardians against each other and the Crown. For the sake of Albion, Gloucester and Sinéad must find a way to reconcile before Calais can ravage the kingdom.

Included is a free copy of Love's Labour's Won:
Shakespeare's romantic comedy "Love's Labour's Lost" ended with a cliffhanger in Act 5, Scene 2. The four courtly couples swore to meet again after a "twelvemonth and a day," and upon that day, they would swear their oaths and be together. But, "Love's Labour's Lost" remained unfinished with other plays (i.e. "All's Well That End's Well") taking the place of its conclusion. Finally, after 400 years, one ambitious Shakespearean student undertook the burden to see "Love's Labour's Lost" finished.
 
*** 

Keep writing, my friends.

More About Bryan C. Laesch:
Amazon: My Author Page, My Influencer Page
Facebook: Bryan C. Laesch, Bawdy Scholar
Patreon: Bryan C. Laesch
Twitter: BryanofallTrade
Youtube: Bryan C. Laesch, Bawdy Scholar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Can You Pigeonhole Yourself through MBTI?

So, here’s a question for all you MBTI nerds: do you fear that knowing your personality type will pigeonhole you into acting a certain...