Saturday, November 18, 2017

Flash Fiction & Poetry Day 13: Fairy Tale "Love Conquers"


Hey, everyone.

Sorry this is going out so late. Saturdays are really not the best days for me to write. Like, I don't even have all that much to do and yet I never get it all done for some reason. Anyway, for today's writing exercise, I'll be using my new fiction genres wheel. So let's see how it goes.

Wheel of Genres, turn, turn, turn! Tell me the genre I will discern!





Today's topic is... Fairy Tale. Phew, that was close. It almost landed on comedy again. But, fairy tale, it's not like I can't come up with one, and I've had ideas for them, I just don't know how to implement them here and now. What's interesting is that according to Wikipedia, fairy tales don't have moral lessons, only fables which is strange because I thought stories like Little Red Riding Hood and Goldilocks and the Three Bears were fairy tales. According to Wikipedia, those are fables (although Wikipedia mentions Little Red Riding Hood in its article of fairy tales).

So, what shall I do here? Three ideas come to mind, two of which I intend of putting down in poetic form and release in a book later. Perhaps I should tell one of them, and perhaps I should tell the "other" since I already told a bit of the first in a poem I wrote a week ago or so. I suppose I shall.

Thirty minutes on the clock: 30:00. And... go!

Once upon a time, in a land far away, there was a man who lived in the country. He lived by himself in a manor and a plot of land that he took care of himself. He worked hard in his garden, he grew his own vegetables, and always took care of the grounds and his house despite being the only one who lived there.

One day, while he was tending to his verge, a great blast of yellow light rose out of the east and darkened the sky. The man knew not what it was, but it terrified him greatly. He prayed that if anyone had been near the yellow light that they were unharmed. After watching it for sometime, he returned to his work.

Later in the afternoon, the light had died down, but the sky was still dark. Suddenly, a woman came along the road. She had a rocky countenance and a strong aura. The man greeted her. "Good afternoon, my lady."

The woman looked at him with a vague perplexion. "Good afternoon," she said curtly.

"What brings you along the road and past my manor?"

"I'm travelling."

"Certain you are, my lady, but what business speeds you so?"

The woman grinned evilly. "I am a powerful sorceress and I intend on destroying your world."

The man stood there and stared at the woman not saying a thing.

The smile disappeared from her face. "Have you no fear of me?"

"I have a great and terrible dread of you, lady. For certain, it was you who cast the horizon light and blackened the sky."

"'Twas."

"Why did you, lady? Why do you want to destroy my world?"

"It offends me. I hate it. Your people are callous and care only for themselves. They care not for the vagabond or wretch lying in the street. I am the just punishment for their sins."

"I see."

After a moment or two, the woman said, "Now, if you'll excuse me, I must get going. I'm going to destroy your world."

"Certain you will, lady, but it is late in the afternoon. Have you had any refreshment since lunch? Would you fancy a cup of tea and a biscuit?"

The woman looked surprised, but said, "I would fancy a cup of tea."

"Then please come into my kitchen and I will fix it for you, and you may have a biscuit whilst you wait."

So the woman and man went into the manor where he served her tea and biscuit with cream and jam. When she was finished she said, "That was delicious, but I'm still going to destroy you world."

"Certain you will, lady, but it is even later in the day and I was thinking of having supper. Won't you join me for some roast chicken and wine?"

The woman looked surprised again, but said, "I shall."

"It will take me some time to cook the chicken," said the man, "but I imagine your journey has been long and hard. Perhaps you would like a bath to cleanse the dust from your skin and relax your mind?"

"I would like that," said the woman.

So, while the man prepared supper, the woman drew herself a bath and bathed. When she was finished, she joined him for supper. When finished, she said, "Your hospitality is quite welcome, but I'm still going to destroy your world."

"For certain you are, lady, but it grows dark now. As powerful as you may be, bandits still patrol the road by night and I'd hate for you to run into them. Perhaps you would like to spend the night in one of my spare rooms?"

The woman looked surprised, but agreed. The man prepared a room and a bed for her, and she spent the night in the manor. In the morning, she rose early and said to the man, "Your bed is soft and your hearth warm. I thank you greatly. But I must get going; I'm going to destroy you world."

"Certain you are, lady, but it is still early and you haven't eaten. Would you fancy a breakfast with some eggs and bacon?"

The woman looked surprised, but agreed. Once she had finished breakfast, she stood, saying, "You never cease to please, but I must get going. I'm going to destroy your world."

"Certain you are, lady, but perhaps you would find a walk about my grounds helpful to your digestion and soothing to your mood?"

"Your land is spotless and roaming; perhaps it would." So the woman stayed and walked the man's grounds till noon. Then she said, "You live in a beautiful country, but I must get going. I'm going to destroy your world."

"Certain you are, lady, but it is now noon. Perhaps you would fancy some lunch?"

The woman looked surprised, but she agreed. When lunch was finished, the woman stood, saying, "You've been very good to me. I may destroy your world, but I may save you."

"I am please to hear you think so highly of me, lady. But I tell you earnestly, I am the way I am because of my world. I wouldn't be who I am without it."

The woman looked confused and didn't say anything.

"Perhaps you would fancy a walk through my garden?" said the man. "I can show you my flower beds."

"I would enjoy that very much," said the woman. And so, the man showed the woman his flower garden until supper, and invited her again to dine with him. She agreed, and then he invited her to spend another night, and she did. And so the cycle continued and the man hosted the woman at his house.

Every morning she woke up to tell him that she was going to destroy his world, and he always responded with "Certain you are, lady," only to suggest another meal or activity to improve her condition. And he did and she did likewise for many years to come. She became a staple of his home and helped him to work his fields and keep the manor clean. With the passing of time, an affection developed and the two were soon married.

On their wedding night, the husband said to his wife, "Shall we go to bed and fulfill our vows?"

"We shall," said the wife. "And as thy wife, I shall forswear my vow to destroy thy world, but tell me truly, why didst thou invite me into thy house despite my ill intention?"

"I pitied thy view of my world and wished to change it, and being no where near as powerful as thee, I was forced to change thee with the good in my heart, so by choosing to show thee love instead of hate, I invoked love from thee and together we now be."

"Truly, I am grateful for now I see that thou could not have become my husband and I thy wife without this world. For long as thou love me, I shall love thyself and thy world."

And so the husband and wife went to bed together, and it was as they said it would be.

The End.

***

Stop the clock! Whew! 39 seconds left. That was close, hence why the ending seems a little half-baked--I was trying to rush it. But that wasn't so bad. Unfortunately, I have to confess that I didn't start writing this after I spun the wheel. I was super tired and I procrastinated for a few hours before I started writing which gave me plenty of time to think about what to write which isn't fair. And like I said, this is an idea I already had, so it wasn't completely original, but despite those little things, I think my fairy tale came out all right.

But, that's it for today. If you want to use the wheel I made, you should be able to access it here. And if you have the time, please check out my books for sale on Amazon which you can find through my author page. The link is below. See you tomorrow.


Keep writing, my friends.

More About Bryan C. Laesch:
Amazon: My Author Page, My Influencer Page
Facebook: Bryan C. Laesch, Bawdy Scholar
Patreon: Bryan C. Laesch
Twitter: BryanofallTrade
Youtube: Bryan C. Laesch, Bawdy Scholar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Can You Pigeonhole Yourself through MBTI?

So, here’s a question for all you MBTI nerds: do you fear that knowing your personality type will pigeonhole you into acting a certain...