Sunday, December 24, 2017

Flash Stories & Poetry Day 49: Dramatic Monologue "The Torture of My Soul"

 
Hey, everyone.

So, today is Christmas Eve. Merry Christmas. I'll probably say the same tomorrow for tomorrow's writing, but you can't be wished a Merry Christmas too many times. Anyway, today's style is dramatic monologue. Now, technically, a dramatic monologue can be any piece that is read by a single person to an audience as if being spoken to another person or character. Audition-type stuff. But, when I was in high school, I was taught a dramatic monologue was a type of poem, formed in heroic couplets, and about 25 to 35 lines long. So, I wrote one just like that. I called it Mortal Sin and it was dynamite. Basically, it was the angel Uriel telling a douchebag how villainous he was and to repent. And as much as I'd love to show you the revised version, here and now, I really should write something original.

Thirty minutes on the clock: 30:00. And... go.

Behold the torture of my soul!
Give witness to the freedoms you stole!
Giving foul advice has led me here,
A life unrequited, how do I endear?
By sheer tenacity and on a dream,
I push through and write what I deem.
The morrow is barren of promises,
But I shall not fall and be dishonest.
Though I seek the easy answer,
I shan't sell my soul to that Dark Prancer.
For wherefore doth he want it so badly,
That he would strike a deal with me gladly?
I shall cuckold him and rely on One
Whose power can make the darkness shunned.
But being sworn to that great Halidom,
Is no easy task--what of my kingdom?
What of my opera? Shall I lose them
By paying my debts by mining for gems?
Alas, 'tis a wicked fate served upon me,
Served to one who only wants to be free.

***
 
Stop the clock! Forty seconds left. Phew! That took longer than I expected. I really thought I wouldn't finish. Point of fact, I'm really not. Twenty lines really aren't enough to express everything I wanted, but I was running out of time. But, for the most part, it's fairly decent as a poem. It only really loses the plot in the last four or six lines.
 
By the way, "prancer" is a word that means a "mettlesome or fiery horse." Seeing "fiery" in there, I was like, "Oh yes. The Devil's going in here." Plus, I never knew that that was what Prancer meant. Puts a whole new spin on one of Santa's reindeer. Puts an even more whole new spin on Prancer when I compare him to the Devil.
 
But anyway, that's it for today. I think I might keep it up with the poetry for a while. I find it very conducive for some reason. Plus, think of all the kick ass things I'm writing. And if you have the time, please check out my books for sale on Amazon which you can find through my author page. The link is below. Also, I reworked my Patreon page, so why not give it a look and consider becoming my patron. I would appreciate it.

Keep writing, my friends.

More About Bryan C. Laesch:

My Works:

Amazon: My Author Page, My Influencer Page
Facebook: Bryan C. Laesch, Bawdy Scholar
Patreon: Bryan C. Laesch
Twitter: BryanofallTrade
Youtube: Bryan C. Laesch, Bawdy Scholar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Can You Pigeonhole Yourself through MBTI?

So, here’s a question for all you MBTI nerds: do you fear that knowing your personality type will pigeonhole you into acting a certain...