Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Flash Stories & Poetry Day 38: Gothic Legend "The Old Oath"

 
Hey, everyone.

Sorry this is going up so late again today. It was another weird day. See, I had already spun the wheel so I knew what I was working with, so I was avoiding this because my brain refused to come up with story. Finally, I re-spun it to replace one of the genres hoping I could get something I wouldn't be so afraid of working with. And I did. So, let's see if I can finally get this done.

Wheel of Genres, turn, turn, turn! Tell me the genre I will discern!





Today's genre is... Crossover. And as with the last crossover, which two genres will I be crossing over? ... Gothic and... Legend.

Now, as I already explained, I've already re-spun this a few times. First time, I got Gothic and Drama, but turns out "Drama" is just a word meaning "play," and I had no idea how to come up with a Gothic play. I then got Religious and thought I could use that, but I was afraid I might come too close to my magnum opus Remnants of Chaos in terms of tone, so I passed it up. Now, I have Gothic and Legend, and I think I can use this. It'll be like a prequel for another idea I had just like that one horror legend I wrote. So, let's see if I can do this.

Thirty minutes on the clock: 30:00. And... go!

Many years before I was born, the land of Lustweis was renowned for being the pinnacle of society. People from all over the world came to Lustweis for trade, work, and even for advanced medical care. But then came the Old Oath.

A group of wizened mystics came from the hinterlands claiming to follow a creed known as the Old Oath. It was one that required spiritual submission from all believers, but promised to open the ways of redemption, salvation, and transmundane evolution. Anacreon, the most decorated general of Lustweis and its greatest warrior, converted and obeyed to uphold the precepts of the Old Oath.

Within a span of only five years, Anacreon rose to the head of the order and became known as Aistan Anacreon, or Revered Anacreon, and had converted all citizens of the Citadel, the fortress city that had acted as Lustweis' capital. And then only three years after that, all of Lustweis converted and came under the Faith of the Old Oath.

All those who refused to convert were labelled as pagans or heathens and cast out into the wilderness. Lustweis lost its luster and became the world's largest and most powerful theocracy with Aistan Anacreon at its head. Those on the outside told stories of the purges that were taken up to cleanse the world of the pagans and the great atrocities carried out in the name of the Old Oath. But whatever evil its believers may have perpetrated, Lustweis' power continued to grow and soon its spiritual domination was beyond any doubt. Other forces in the world refused to war with Lustweis and evangelists found willing converts in neighboring lands. But the Old Oath's believers were soldiers first, and believers second. Everyone fought for the cause, even the mystics and priests.

The most effective method of evangelization dreamt up by Anacreon were his Hunters. Created in response to a vision from the Great Seer, Alured, who could speak directly to the Ancient One. Alured saw another entity, just as old and as powerful, recruiting followers to his creed and requiring unspeakably dark acts and other sins from them for the power they desired. These cultists were called Demoniacs, and so Anacreon created his Hunters to go out into the world and slay them all, including the monsters the Demoniacs became once they finished a ritual. The Faith of the Old Oath grew with each successful evangelization, but the Hunters themselves would eventually go mad from the eldritch and unearthly things they saw.

Two renowned Hunters of the Old Oath, Logarius and Hiram, went out on a mission to end a Demoniac cult and never returned. Hiram disappeared and Logarius is said to have fallen. That is where I come into the story.

***
 
And, I'm going to have to stop it there. It's a bit clunky, but it does get at what I'm trying to get at. For those of you who read my flash fiction story Old Oath, I decided to take that build it up into an actual novel. This here is the prologue of what that story is supposed to be about. I know it isn't technically a legend, not the way I wrote it anyway, but I needed to get this out of me. And it feels good to have done so. Anyway, if you want, you can read the Old Oath here on my blog. You might have to search for it though as I don't know where it is, but just so you know, it is based off the video game Bloodborne.
 
But anyway, that's it for today. If you want to use the wheel I made, you should be able to access it here. And if you have the time, please check out my books for sale on Amazon which you can find through my author page. The link is below. Also, I reworked my Patreon page, so why not give it a look and consider becoming my patron. I would appreciate it.

Keep writing, my friends.

More About Bryan C. Laesch:

My Works:

Amazon: My Author Page, My Influencer Page
Facebook: Bryan C. Laesch, Bawdy Scholar
Patreon: Bryan C. Laesch
Twitter: BryanofallTrade
Youtube: Bryan C. Laesch, Bawdy Scholar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Can You Pigeonhole Yourself through MBTI?

So, here’s a question for all you MBTI nerds: do you fear that knowing your personality type will pigeonhole you into acting a certain...