Monday, December 4, 2017

Flash Stories & Poetry Day 29: Ballad "The Great Sojourn of Talianus"

 
Hey, everyone.

So, I have nothing funny or clever to say here. Let's just get to the poetry.

Wheel of Genres, turn, turn, turn! Tell me the genre I will discern!







Today's topic is... Ballad. To be honest, did say lyric first, but I couldn't remember what I did for lyrics. I know I did something about a month ago for them, I can't remember what it was. However, then I remembered a little project I'm doing for Heroes of Majestia that I haven't worked on in quite a while. I actually don't suppose I'll get it out until next year, but I would like to work on it. So, this shall be the first part of The Great Sojourn of Talianus.

Thirty minutes on the clock: 30:00. And... go!

Before he became a myth, a legend, a king, and a man,
Talianus was like the rest and began his quest like a lad;
Small was he with a great mane of red hair ere his tale began,
Desiring to be a hero, out he went in tatters clad.

He spoke real big about all the things he was going to do,
And about all the monsters and villains he would crush;
All the treasures he would steal and all the demons he would hew,
And whenever he would come around, all the maidens should blush.

Into the wilds he went, not knowing the legacy he would leave,
And how much the temples and priests he would grieve;
But near a pond outside his village, his first brush with death would come,
And to the charms of a long kelpie he would succumb.

As he tried to tame the beast to be his mount,
He had not the beast's mien taken into account;
Wherefore would such a rare horse meander to pond so calm,
Lest it meant to entrap wanderer and dash into black somme?

Trapped in its mane was he, unable to get free,
That monster tread the water with such glee and wouldn't hear his plea;
Alas, with a great rock, did he revenge himself with,
And he shattered that kelpie's head forthwith.

***
 
Okay, stop the clock. Well, that was rough. It took me most of my half hour and I only got five stanzas. Sorry; I was dragging ass all throughout and I had no idea what I was doing. This is a POS poem, if I'm honest. But, I think it will be all right as a base. It needs a lot of reworking and there are some parts where I can feel the legend isn't so legendary, but this poem helped to point out where those weak spots were. I wouldn't know where those weak spots are if I hadn't written this one. Maybe I should also read a few hero legends to get an idea of what the hell I should be doing.
 
But anyway, that's it for today. If you want to use the wheel I made, you should be able to access it here. And if you have the time, please check out my books for sale on Amazon which you can find through my author page. The link is below. Also, I reworked my Patreon page, so why not give it a look and consider becoming my patron. I would appreciate it.

Keep writing, my friends.

More About Bryan C. Laesch:

My Works:

Amazon: My Author Page, My Influencer Page
Facebook: Bryan C. Laesch, Bawdy Scholar
Patreon: Bryan C. Laesch
Twitter: BryanofallTrade
Youtube: Bryan C. Laesch, Bawdy Scholar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Can You Pigeonhole Yourself through MBTI?

So, here’s a question for all you MBTI nerds: do you fear that knowing your personality type will pigeonhole you into acting a certain...