Friday, December 1, 2017

Flash Stories & Poetry Day 26: Prayer "A Writer's Prayer"

 
Hey, everyone.

Sorry this is so late today. I really don't get much done on Friday and the weekend in general. I don't know why. It's just something that doesn't happen. So then, let's stop stalling and get this done.

Wheel of Genres, turn, turn, turn! Tell me the genre I will discern!





Today's topic is... Prayer!

Alright, I'll be honest; I got cinquain first, but I've already written at least one of them and they're super short. Plus, I think a prayer might go real well with the whole theme of the importance of needing to write earnestly. Other than that though, prayers are different in all sorts of ways, so when it comes to style here, I really am flying by the seat of my pants. But since this is a poetry day, perhaps I should make it rhyme.

Thirty minutes on the clock: 30:00. And... go!

By the Powers that Be, the Powers Seen and Unseen,
Grant unto me clarity of Mind and sobriety of Heart,
That I may tend to my work to perfect my Art.
Slay the Maleficarum that mean to do me Harm,
That block my Path and deprive me of Charm.

By the Powers that Be, the Powers Seen and Unseen,
Permit not my flaws to block my Way
So that I may make what I will of the Day;
Send unto me Revelations deep so I may make haste
To write the Opera chaste to wake the World from its Sleep.

For the Powers that Be, the Powers Seen and Unseen,
I give thanks in hearing my Request,
And for my Gifts which I am blessed,
Now I shall go compose my great Act,
And fulfill our venerable Pact.

***

Stop the clock! Two minutes and twenty seconds left. I know it isn't long, but that second stanza gave me issues. I still have issues with it, but I'm not sure how to fix them. If I had more time, I might be able to discover how, but right now... In general though, I think the prayer is pretty good, but I did end up using a lot of words I didn't want to use because they're too mundane. If I had the time, I could make this prayer off the hook.
 
And for those wondering, "maleficarum" means "witches", but it's derived from the two Latin words "malus" meaning "evil", and the past tense, I think, of the word "facere" meaning "to do". So the word literally translated means "evil doer". Have you ever hear of the Malleus Maleficarum, "The Hammer of Witches"? It was a Catholic treatise on how to deal with witchcraft in case you were curious. And, as I'm sure you can tell, I did mess about a little with the rhyming throughout this piece. I'm strangely okay with how that turned out.
 
But anyway, that's it for today. If you want to use the wheel I made, you should be able to access it here. And if you have the time, please check out my books for sale on Amazon which you can find through my author page. The link is below.

Keep writing, my friends.

More About Bryan C. Laesch:

My Works:

Amazon: My Author Page, My Influencer Page
Facebook: Bryan C. Laesch, Bawdy Scholar
Patreon: Bryan C. Laesch
Twitter: BryanofallTrade
Youtube: Bryan C. Laesch, Bawdy Scholar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Can You Pigeonhole Yourself through MBTI?

So, here’s a question for all you MBTI nerds: do you fear that knowing your personality type will pigeonhole you into acting a certain...