Sunday, December 10, 2017

Flash Stories & Poetry Day 35: Prayer "In Times of Need"

 
Hey, everyone.

So, today marks the end of the seventh and beginning of the eighth week that I've been doing this. I wanted to do something special for the 30th day, but it completely slipped my mind. But, I just think it's amazing that I've been doing this for as long as I have been. These posts don't get a lot of attention, but there are a bunch of them, so maybe that will make up for it. Imagine what it will be like if I ever get to a full year's worth. But for now, let's just focus on one day at time. Also, today is a poetry day, so this should be fun.

Wheel of Genres, turn, turn, turn! Tell me the genre I will discern!





Today's style is... Prayer.

That's interesting. Why? Well, because of the rough path I've been going through recently. It's really been a test of faith. And so, it's interesting to me that a few days ago when I decided I wouldn't do a second Christmas reflection, the wheel said I would. And then, that night I was thinking to myself, "You know, I'm going to be 29 in a two-and-a-half months and then 30 a year after. If I'm still up to the crackerjack sh*t then that I'm up to now, I'll stop focusing so much on my dreams and get to work on adulting." But then yesterday, I got an email from Beliefnet with an article about how you shouldn't settle. And here then today I get prayer for my poetry theme. It feels like God is trying to send me a message. I've been praying awfully hard for one, and I think I'm getting it. I'm just a little disappointed because I wanted it in a dream.

Some of you are probably wondering what the message is, and it's simply that I should keep going with this writing thing, more specifically that I should be using my gift in more religious ways like I was planning on doing. In fact, I came to that revelation back in November when I was feeling lost and confused, and it hit me quite suddenly while I was standing in line with the monstrance, which is a sort of vessel that houses the Eucharist which we Catholics believe is the actual presence, the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity, of Jesus Christ. And for the life of me, I couldn't look directly at the monstrance without wanting to cry; I don't know why. So... message and kick in the pants received. I think.

So, what will my prayer be about? Well, I'm still in a time of need and want, and God wants us to bring all of our problems to Him. And St. Augustine once said, "Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you." So, let's give it a try.

Thirty minutes on the clock: 30:00. And... go!

My Father,

The hour is dire. Here I am
in a great time of need and find
myself lost within the mire
confused by every thought and every deed.

My mind is tired, my heart weary,
and my spirit lacking. Every day and
in every way, I can feel the Devil attacking,
and I cannot live as required.

I beg of Thee, grant me rest and respite,
grant me a sign to show I'm blessed
and that Thou will never leave my side.
I beg of Thee to be my guide.

I entrust Thee with all my hopes,
needs, and wants, so I may
live undaunted to keep the Faith
and do what I must for the sake
of what is just.

Amen.

***
 
Stop the clock. 12 minutes left. Well, it's not quite what I wanted, but it gets the message across. With this one, I tried a more modern take on the writing and I tried to rhyme things as they appeared in the middle of sentences rather than at the end. I was using the poem prayer that Blessed Solanus Casey used to say. So, that as they say, is that.
 
But anyway, that's it for today. If you want to use the wheel I made, you should be able to access it here. And if you have the time, please check out my books for sale on Amazon which you can find through my author page. The link is below. Also, I reworked my Patreon page, so why not give it a look and consider becoming my patron. I would appreciate it.

Keep writing, my friends.

More About Bryan C. Laesch:

My Works:

Amazon: My Author Page, My Influencer Page
Facebook: Bryan C. Laesch, Bawdy Scholar
Patreon: Bryan C. Laesch
Twitter: BryanofallTrade
Youtube: Bryan C. Laesch, Bawdy Scholar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Can You Pigeonhole Yourself through MBTI?

So, here’s a question for all you MBTI nerds: do you fear that knowing your personality type will pigeonhole you into acting a certain...