Sunday, February 4, 2018

RWBY Volume 5 Chapter 14 Critique and Review



Hey, everyone.

So, finally after a long, long wait, Volume 5 Chapter 14, "Haven's Fate" was released this past week and it was... quite disappointing. Seriously, this is the worst RWBY season finale ever. That's not to say that there still weren't parts about it that I liked, but it was pretty meh or less. So, let's talk about it. I'm going to treat the entire episode as one scene, and to keep things that I thought could've been better short, I'm just going to cover all the things that bothered me the most. So, if I don't mention something in "What I Liked," then you can safely assume I either don't care about it or I outright didn't like it.

Critique

What I Liked

1. Blake and Sun: Although this is a very small thing, I did sort of like the way Blake and Sun interacted in this episode, especially the part where Blake stops Sun from running after Adam and the part where Sun turns Blake with his tail. In the former, there was something tender about Blake that I quite liked, almost as if we saw a softer side of her. As for the latter, I just think Blake's squeal is cute. I can't explain why I think that, I just do.

2. Raven and Yang's Confrontation: So, I totes thought there was going to be an epic battle between these two, and you could argue that there was a battle, it just wasn't epic. Anyway, it was nice to see Yang stand up to her mother and push Raven to her breaking point. Not because I wanted to see Raven cry or hurt, but because it's nice to know that for as bad and as tough and as powerful as she is, she's not wholly invulnerable and what her daughter thinks of her does mean something to her. And it's nice to see she has some regret and remorse for the way she left Tai and Yang.

3. After Credit Scene: Speaking of Tai and Raven, this is the last part of this episode that I tentatively like. I say "tentatively" because it depends on what CRWBY is going to do with it. Now, after credit scenes haven't really been considered canon until Vol. 3's, but even then, only Vol. 4's where Oscar meets Qrow in the bar is the only one that has been confirmed since we got to see it in Vol. 5. So, who knows whether or not CRWBY are actually going to make a scene where Raven and Tai have a heart-to-heart, but I honestly hope they do. If it happens in Vol. 6, I'll say I like this scene. If it doesn't, then screw this scene.





 
What Could've Been Better

1. A Bad Ass Case of Battle Blue Balls: It's incredibly disappointing that we never got to see a proper fight in the Haven hall between Team Good Guys and Team Bad Guys. It always happens off screen except for a few key moments, and what action there is seems to be stinted or forced or there's just something off about it, like when Hazel destroys Weiss' Queen Stinger and she just stares at it. Was that supposed to be shock or fear? I don't know because Weiss' face is neither of the two and she doesn't make any vocal reactions. There's not even a gasp or sharp inhale. It's such a wasted opportunity that we never got a big, properly budgeted battle scene in the hall.

2. Black and Yellow: So, we finally have a reunion for Team RWBY, but in all honesty, it doesn't feel good; there's no emotional payoff. It doesn't feel like there was any struggle for the girls to reunite which sounds weird because there was a struggle and an emotional payoff when Weiss hugged Yang, and then when Yang hugged Ruby, but now that all four are together... there's nothing. And I don't know why. It could've been because of the awkward and clunky dialogue, "So, Blake: what are you doing here?" Or it could've been because Yang just accepted that Blake was back without there being a resolution between them. It's too simple, too quick, too dirty. Yang and Blake need to have a long talk, and that's what should have happened. I would've gladly given up some of Cinder and Raven's battle to have a more fitting RWBY reunion. I know RWBY is about the fighting, but these characters are, well, characters, and they need to be developed along with their relationships, and this reunion wasn't properly developed.

This moment ruined the reunion.

Questions/Insights:

1. The Haven Relic: I find it quite fitting that the relic of knowledge should be designed like a lantern as if to "light the way." And I'm guessing that it can be used as a weapon by bestowing upon the beholder knowledge about whatever that person wants. In a war, that's very useful intel. But, these are mere speculations. We are still forced to ask the questions what do they do with it now that they've got it, and will having it make it more difficult for them to hang onto it?

2. Atlas: At the end of the battle, Oscar tells Qrow that they now need to protect Atlas and I have to ask, why Atlas? Why not Vacuo? How does Ozpin know that Salem is going to target Atlas next? Did he read next season's script? Or is he just saying that because Atlas is the next closest? Well, that doesn't make all that much sense since I'm going to assume Remnant is round which means the distance between Haven and Atlas or Vacuo is probably about equal. Not to mention, if distance is a consideration, why didn't Salem attack Haven first instead of Beacon? Maybe it was because Salem new Amber was too young and inexperienced and would make for an easy target, or maybe she didn't want a fully developed Ozpin coming for her sweet ass? Actually, that makes a lot of sense. But it doesn't explain why Oz thinks Atlas is next. If it is Vacuo, that would subvert everyone's expectations.

And what will happen to Cinder when she runs into Salem again?
I hope it's quite painful.

Review
 
Well, what can I say? I've already made note of what I liked and what I didn't, and I mentioned that if I didn't bring it up, I probably didn't like it, so what can I say? The episode sucked. But, I'm not going to say what I think of Vol. 5 in general. Not yet, anyway. I want to re-watch this volume and do an overall critique and review. I'll try to keep it as succinct as possible seeing as how I've already picked out all the small things, and I'll try to analyze what this volume did right, what it did wrong, and whether or not it was effective.
 
But, anyway, you guys, that's it for this week. I'll see you next week (hopefully).

Keep writing, my friends.

More About Bryan C. Laesch:

My Works:

Amazon: My Author Page, My Influencer Page
Facebook: Bryan C. Laesch, Bawdy Scholar
Patreon: Bryan C. Laesch
Twitter: BryanofallTrade
Youtube: Bryan C. Laesch, Bawdy Scholar


No comments:

Post a Comment

Can You Pigeonhole Yourself through MBTI?

So, here’s a question for all you MBTI nerds: do you fear that knowing your personality type will pigeonhole you into acting a certain...