Friday, July 27, 2018

INTJ Contradiction #1: A Rebel and a Tyrant


Hey, everyone.

(Quick Note: This post is actually two weeks late since I broke my last computer. Sorry about that.)

So, I have to apologize for not getting my main INTJ post out last week, the one where I talk about what it's like growing up as an INTJ. It's a little more difficult than I figured and some of the examples I thought of from my past aren't exactly INTJ qualities, so I'm going to need some more time with that one.

Instead, I might have a new series here: INTJ Contradictions. As we know, INTJs are walking masses of complexities despite the fact they try to do everything as efficiently as possible. They burn with passion, but they're cold as ice. They agree that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, but they'll be damned if they choose to follow anyone else's will besides their own. So let's take a look at one of these contradictions and try to understand where it comes from.

A Rebel and a Tyrant

So I was listening to the song "Wake Up, Get Up, Get Out There" which is the theme song to the video game Persona 5. I was actually watching a lyric video, and I've never understood all the lyrics, but as I was reading them, I realized "Wake Up, Get Up, Get Out There" could very well be an INTJ's anthem, especially with lyrics like "Why does no one want change?" (Despite the fact INTJs don't like surprises or unnecessary change. Another contradiction entry there.)

However, some of the other lyrics reminded me of an interesting contradiction within the INTJ personality. The lyrics in particular were:

They look down on
All the rest of us
Like they're some special breed

Who's the high lord
Who thinks he's better than us?

The fact that INTJs like these lyrics is both indicative of their secret rebellious side and ironic in that INTJs love to have control over every aspect of their lives. We don't care much for leadership, but if everyone just listened to us, no one would have any problems (despite the fact we hate those pretentious pricks who have the balls to virtue signal us and try to get us triggered just because they are). I call this ironic and hypocritical duality being a rebel and a tyrant, but where does it come from and why is it that INTJs don't necessarily see it as a contradiction?

Origin of R/T Duality

If I had to guess where this dual nature comes from, I'd say it originates in our Te-Fi combination. Extraverted Thinking is the function responsible for our strong opinions while Introverted Feeling is responsible for our strong individuality. In fact, I would argue that INTJs aren't "rebellious," we're just individuals. However, where some people can live and let live, INTJs are very self-assured of their individuality. After all, we've been doing our own thing and going our own way for most of our lives and it hasn't led us astray yet--what reason do we have to doubt their senses? But you take these self-confident individuals and put them in a world where self-doubt and creating your own Hell are common, of course they're going to acquire the attitude "I know best."


INTJS!? WHY U NO THINK URSELVES HYPOCRITES!?

So, why don't INTJs think this duality is hypocritical? Well, as stated above, if we truly know what's best, then we know what's best. Whether we're in power or not is irrelevant. Titles like "rebel" and "tyrant" are subjective. If a person is in power and sees someone else who isn't falling in line, the latter will be labelled as a "rebel." Similarly, anyone who is abusing their power or trying to influence the populous with force would be labelled a "tyrant." Of course though, other people in power might think of the "tyrant" as a "comrade," and other rebels might think of the labelled "rebel" as a "hero" or "non-conformist."

We also like to think that logic and rational is on our side. As long as that's true, we can't be a rebel or a tyrant because we're in the right--we're on the side of justice. INTJs are only really seen as rebels when compared to those who fall in line without a fight, and they're only really seen as tyrannical when they try to force their point-of-view. But as we all know, INTJs are generally pretty quiet--we don't speak up or speak out much. We just go and do our own thing, and let everyone else have their flapdoodle. As long as this holds, we will never be labelled as a rebel or a tyrant.

***

Well, that was the first INTJ Contradiction entry. Hopefully, I subverted your expectations (in a good way) with this first entry. In the future I'll write about the more predictable ones. Make sure you don't miss it by joining my mailing list, and if you want to make sure I keep writing, please consider supporting me on Patreon. Even $1 a month is enough to keep me writing.

As for next week's main post, I'm not sure what I'll do. Maybe I'll go back to growing up as an INTJ, but for now, who can say.

Keep writing, my friends.

More About Bryan C. Laesch:

Amazon: My Author Page
Facebook: Bryan C. Laesch, Bawdy Scholar
Patreon: Bryan C. Laesch

Instagram: Bryan C. Laesch
Twitter: BryanofallTrade
Youtube: Bryan C. Laesch, Bawdy Scholar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Can You Pigeonhole Yourself through MBTI?

So, here’s a question for all you MBTI nerds: do you fear that knowing your personality type will pigeonhole you into acting a certain...