Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Being A Writer #4: Fortune and Glory


Hey, everyone.

Due to the holiday I decided not to publish anything last week because I thought there would be adverse effects to my views, but now that the holiday is over, we can get back into the swing of things. Speaking of the swing, it hasn't been going well for me in my job search, and speaking of money, let's take a quick look at this week's Being A Writer.

Explanation

When it comes to just about anything, there are good and bad reasons for doing whatever it is, such as marriage, which should be done for love and shouldn't be done for money. Well, when it comes to writing a book, some do it for "good" reasons like educating, entertaining, enlightening, and inspiring others. But there are plenty of "bad" reasons why people write; two of those "bad" reasons include fortune and glory.

Unfortunately, there are some writers out there, often the successful ones who have both plenty of money and fame, who like to drive the point that writing isn't about getting rich or being popular. But here's the thing, while fortune and glory aren't "good" reasons for writing, they're still some of the reasons why we write--it's just the nature of the beast.

I think it could be argued that "fortune and glory" isn't as much about "riches and fame" as it is about "getting paid to do something you like and being recognized for being good at it." However, I also think that so long as you turn out a good story that people want to read, does it really matter why you wrote it? For my part, I know I write for good and bad reasons--I want to tell a story, but dammit!--someone had better pay me for it!

***
 

If you enjoyed this realistic Being A Writer post and you want to stay in the loop with whatever I write, please consider joining my mailing list, and if you agree with my logic, you can also support me on Patreon. Even $1 a month helps me keep writing for money.

Keep writing, my friends.

More About Bryan C. Laesch:

Amazon: My Author Page
Facebook: Bryan C. Laesch, Bawdy Scholar
Patreon: Bryan C. Laesch

Instagram: Bryan C. Laesch
Twitter: BryanofallTrade
Youtube: Bryan C. Laesch, Bawdy Scholar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Can You Pigeonhole Yourself through MBTI?

So, here’s a question for all you MBTI nerds: do you fear that knowing your personality type will pigeonhole you into acting a certain...